Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Steph's research 7/17/07

"If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?" - Albert Einstein

I keep getting stuck on this quote for my research. I want to find out more about what it is that I'm doing in my classes in the research I have or why what I'm doing here and there works in my classroom. I have ordered the Gallas books recommended to me by Cindy, but haven't received them yet. But, I am somewhat hesitant about my project focusing on information I already know. But then again I don't really know where to go from where I am now---reading research. I am currently reading (skipping around) the book Natalie loaned me about abstract thinking and the arts. It spends some time on philosophy (Plato, Aristotle) and their opposing views of abstract thinking's value, or lack thereof. It's so fascinating to me.

But I can't disregard the great and insightful comments made by the AI about an interest in my writing something about what I do in my classes, either. I am still just stuck on the idea of retelling what happens---it makes it sound like my classes are all full of genius children and they are that way all because of me---which is TOTALLY not the case! Ha!

I need to find a happy medium among all of these things and see what comes out of it, maybe. I will keep researching as I prepare to go back to school sooner than later (sorry to bring that up!!!) and reflect on my poetry unit and classroom setting for a reader/conference attendee who doesn't know me or my school...more later as I reread my research schedule! I am both intimidated and excited about it: it's a lot, but it gives me a definite focus for the upcoming year!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I understand the conundrum you seem to be experiencing here Steph - because I felt exactly the same way. But what I've discovered is that looking at what I "think I know" forces me to look at all sides of the issue. And although I've been very frustrated by the lack of research supporting my thesis is frustrating is also confirms that what I'm researching will actually fill that all important "gap" that was talked about in the AI.

Also the whole idea of triangulating data has made me look more critically at what I'm doing - and honestly how much "talking at" was taking place instead of student interaction. I only say this to encourage you to stick with what you're looking at. It may well be a case of not being able to see the forest for the trees. Perhaps what you think is just common sense really isn't happening elsewhere, and you've stumbled upon a great strategy for success. There is something to be said for this research component helping us establish a basis for what we think and figuring out WHY our basic instincts are on the money.

Keep stumbling around the forest and sooner or later you're bound to run into a tree - and I'll be Plato or Aristotle or Einstein has scratched a prophetic idea on that tree that will guide to the right direction. Have faith and stay the course!

smb said...

I'm so impressed with you and Natalie! You are both making progress on your research. Mine is still sitting in the box I brought everything home in from AI. [sigh --but no guilt! :)]

While I see the "conundrum" you mention, I always tell my students to write what they know. It's a great starting place. From there, then you can decide what you don't know and what you want to know more about.

Remember the article the writing group helped me get into English Journal? The one about play in the classroom? I felt like I was just regurgitating what I already knew. However, you all convinced me otherwise and I sent it in anyway! And, obviously EJ thought I had something to say since it got published. We [in writing group] have all been teaching long enough that we do things because we know it's good. Yet, we all do things that other teachers don't know about. I have learned so much from you about teaching that you probably don't even know you taught me. Does that make sense? I'm always on the look out for good ideas, and you continually give them to me.

Get over yourself sister! You have good teaching stuff that the rest of us want! :) Spill it!

respo said...

I am glad to be back from vaca and the humidity - I am now trading in one kind of sweat for another. It is great to read your posts and see that others are in the same place. It makes it a little less lonely. When i posted my timeline I realized I had about 82 times that I intend on videotaping my class. It seems impossible, then I think about the point of it all... I guess the theme I am getting is go with what you know. I will take it to heart. Maybe I can think of the videotapes as though I am a coach watching plays to see where things go wrong???

Nice to read all of your posts again.

Jason Clarke said...

Excellent quotation, I love it!

I agree with Natalie and smb, as I've told you several times already so I won't just repeat it here. But I also wanted to say that as you look into abstract thinking and explore secondary materials, you may want to look at it from a theoretical level. Literary theory has a lot to say about abstract thinking and how it relates to reading and finding meaning in a text.

Peter Barry is always a good place to start, he manages to make the admittedly complicated ideas pretty accessible, that is, if you haven't read _Beginning Theory_ already.

I'm thinking specifically about the ideas that "truth is provisional" and that "meaning is contingent." I think that they relate a lot to the way you teach poetry in terms of how you allow kids to find meanings and ideas on their own rather than just telling them what the poem "actually" means.