Friday, June 29, 2007

ya just had to be there

I'm kind of afraid to post now. What if I lose my privilege to speak on this blog? Is there a digital version of sticky notes that Ms. Rector would allow?

Seriously, though, when I read back through all that we've accomplished in just a few days, I have to say that AI is exceeding my expectations. Yesterday, I got an e-mail from NWP that the interim report was due soon for the grant that funded the AI, and when I write it, I just want to say, "see blog" or use some yearbook cliche like "ya just had to be there." Because like most writing project experiences, this one will be difficult to capture in prose.

Every day, Jason and I go over to the student center, and SI folks ask how it's going. The experience is even hard to explain to CSUWP people on the inside. Yesterday, I just wound up saying that we're zooming in on the teacher-as-researcher part of the NWP trinity in a big way.

If this is even possible, it feels to me as if all the same intensity people generally feel about SI is magnified because it seems that the risk-taking element that often isn't stripped away until the 3rd week or so in the SI has been removed from the start. Maybe Megan Baker's husband who was sitting at the lunch table with us yesterday said it best: "This sounds like a Ph.D. in writing project."

I knew before you all got here that everyone in the room was amazing, but wow...I mean, you guys are truly great thinkers. It's an honor to see everyone digging in to understand the complexity of her or his practice.

I wish that the powers-that-be in your respective districts could see you in action. Not only would they would be awed by your devotion to your craft, but they would understand that in most cases, most schools have no idea how rigorous "authentic" professional development can be.

Want to know what I mean by "authentic"? Well, I guess ya just had to be there....

1 comment:

Jason Clarke said...

I just wanted to add, from the perspective of a participant that this has been an amazing experience so far, and I can't wait to dig back in tomorrow. I think that the fact that all of us have taken the SI and have freely and knowingly entered into this environment helps us so much.

We're not exactly walking on eggshells with each other are we? ("Would it kill you to give them a word bank?" :-). I, for one, am liberated by the freedom of thought and expression, and am overwhelmed by how my simple research questions have exploded into a genuine research endeavor. By the way, if there is a Ph.D. in WP program, sign me up!