Saturday, August 18, 2007

Food for thought

Okay, I avoided blogging on Monday in the hope that any visitors to the blog would comment on the earlier blog to help me out in getting ready for school to start - but alas, that was not the case. Anyway in preparation for my fall class I've been reviewing back issues of Art Education to see which articles I need to assign students. I came across an article that needed a reread because it seemed so relevant. "Living the Questions: Technology-Infused Action Research in Art Education." How appropriate is this! At any rate it brought back vivid memories of the AI with several specific quotes - these made me think perhaps I'm not as far out of the loop as I've been thinking. Sara Wilson McKay made some of the same insights we/I did this summer...

"...what looks like learning in one context may not be the same learning in another."
"...live the questions of art education, particularly in designing a technology-infused action research project addressing these questions, because it is in such shared efforts that our endeavors can become meaningful."
"Art asks us to revise our view of the world"
"Question: are we all talking about the same thing?"
"...joining together to really overcome isolation in our work. Whether it is the perpetual state of being in the service of others, or simply the sheer numbers of student we see in a day, we rarely are afforded the opportunity to connect with each other."

The last quote is most significant for me. My greatest enthusiasm for the CSUWPAI came from thinking about no longer working in isolation - hopefully fall will return structure to bring everyone together again and our network of teacher researchers will reconnect.

No comments: