Friday, May 4, 2007

More on Blogging

I feel like part of my job with the AI is to help y'all continue to think about how you/we can use blogging as a vehicle for reflection and inquiry, and specifically t-r. I'm pretty impressed with the depth of the writing so far on folks' inquiry questions. You're all blowing me away with your thinking and honesty and sharing and documenting and expanding knowledge. This is so cool.
Thanks to Stephen Downes, who publishes a daily digest of what's going on in the world of e-learning, I came across this post that's a reflection on a blogger's blogging habits and some of the obstacles he faces. I thought you might find it useful. Here's a short excerpt:

I think any blogger would agree: it’s not exactly a cake walk to blog for the long term. I’ve been at this for under a year, and several times thought about throwing in the towel. While we all have different criteria for success, surely an inactive blog means the writer found something better to do.

I thought I would recount the various reasons why I nearly quitting blogging, so perhaps others can learn from my experiences and rationalizations behind continuing.


The rest of the post looks at some specific obstacles and his responses to them. While it might get a little geeky in places, I think his reflection is useful to a beginning blogger. I hope you agree.
Keep up the amazing work, y'all. I already feel like this AI is successful -- and we're still in the pre-institute work phase. Well done. (Now, that said, don't stop.)
PS -- Not that you don't have enough to read, write and think about, but you might consider adding Stephen's OLDaily to your aggregators. It's consistently interesting and relevant to folks who are thinking about being online with students' and our own thinking.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

To blog or not to blog - that is the question - or is it? Okay, yes because we must, now why blog, that is the bigger question. I did go to the reflection link and this brought up some questions and made me draw some conclusions, now I wonder if they are the right questions and correct conclusions.

First, why are blogging? Yes, I know I kind of answered that - because we have to. But what IS the purpose? What I've come up with is blogging as feedback. As a group we're focusing on research, and this is just our conversation. In place of sitting around the coffee shop drinking lattes (which, by the way sounds WAYYYYY better!) we're plugging away on our computers. Pros and cons? You bet.

Definate con with this - the thoughts are much less free-flowing and those quick insights that pop out of your mouth unsolicited are lost. Also lost is the pondering and back-and-forth retorhic so essential to my own people connection. Big cons in my book.

However, there are a couple of big pros to counter-balance this. While the flashing insights are lost (because for me by the time the insight erupts from my mouth I've already forgotten much of it and it is only recaptured in the retelling, therefore typing it out takes too long) this venue encourages a more thorough digestion of the topics. So time is a double-edged sword, one good side, one bad. The other upside to blogging your ideas is that you're not limited to the bracketed time there in the coffee shop. During my sleepless nights I can hop online and be productive. Big pro.

Other thoughts that popped up as I was reading...what's this money for blogging thing? Hey, I want a part of that! New to that whole idea :) But my real question (okay the second one, I really WOULD like to make money on this) is in reference to the blogger's remark about how people will sometimes comment on an old blog weeks after it disappears into the background. How do we track this short of scrolling down and keeping a running tally on the comments? Is there a way to send up a little smoke signal eact time there is a new comment anywhere on the blog?

So, my blog exists soley to support my researc effort, but I can see how this might also be a great way to revise our writing group protocol to allow for group feedback when we're spread across the country - I like that idea.

New things I want to learn - first how to flag new comments so I know they're there without having to dig for them, but more importantly, I want to do the money thing :)

Webomatica said...

Hi, thanks for the link (I'm finding one motivation to keep blogging is getting links from blogs I never heard of before, prompting me to check them out and broaden my reading habits).

Anyhow, in response to Natalie's comment about how do you notice comments on a really old post, there are many WordPress plug ins that help this - I have Get Recent Comments that lists in the side bar the most recent comment and what post it's for.

Readers can also subscribe by email to posts they have commented on so any time a new comment is added, they are notified. Subscribe to Comments.

Bud Hunt said...

Blogger, too, has many of these features. I'll go into more depth in a post later today. Thanks, Jason, for stopping by.