Friday, May 4, 2007

Tracking the Conversation

In the comments to the previous post, Natalie asked a question about how to keep track of comments to a blog post. I thought I should let y'all know about three options that you might want to check out and add to your tool collections.
The first is one for Blogger. You can, and I think you most certainly should, set up your Blogger account so that it sends you an e-mail whenever you get a comment on your blog. You can find the place to do that in your Settings Menu under Comments. Just enter your e-mail and you're good to go.
That's all well and good for comments that are coming to your space, but following up with comments and conversations on others' blogs is a little more difficult. That's where a tool called coComment comes in. If you create an account with coComment, and download their tool and stick it in your browser, coComment will keep track of all the blog comments that you make and will create a webpage that threads and displays all comments made to conversations that you're involved in. I really like that feature because it helps me keep track of where I am commenting and if new comments are being left. Even better, you can get an RSS feed of the comments that you're involved in. That means the tools can be working for you.
The third option for you to be thinking about is tracking who is linking to your blog. That might not be important right now for many of you -- but the quality of your writing is solid -- I expect that eventually, others will begin to pay attention to what you have to say. When they discuss their work, they'll, if they are responsible bloggers, link to your work when they discuss it. (You'll notice that I linked to Natalie's blog above when I mentioned her comment.)
I use a blogging search engine called Technorati to take periodic looks at who is linking to my blog. (Here's a link to a Technorati search of Natalie's blog URL just as an example.) You can even set up an RSS feed of the search for your aggregator, thereby letting the tools do some more of your work for you. (Have I mentioned how much I like RSS and think you all should be using an aggregator?)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Okay Bud, new technical issue. For me the easiest way to get to a website is to make a folder in my favorites and then save individual website addresses. However, I've recently discovered a sticky problem. Apparently going to what I think is the website actually gets me to the blog that was up when I tagged the website for my favorites. Clicking the refresh button doesn't update the file. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for the feedback on tracking my comments - I just need time to mess around with things and see if I can get it figured out. For the next advanced institute this might be a good thing to show people.